I had never heard the term gaslighting until today ! Am I out of touch ? It might originate in the 1944 film where a man uses manipulation to make his wife think she is going out of her mind. There’s a TV series with ‘gaslighting’ in the title that is presumably about the same kind of manipulation. Anyway, when I did a search, I found an article on Psychology today with these eleven signs that will help you spot gaslighting. Can you think of anyone who fits this?
Gaslighting is a manipulation tactic used to gain power. And it works too well.
1 They tell blatant lies.
2. They deny they ever said something, even though you have proof.
3 They use what is near and dear to you as ammunition.
4 They wear you down over time.
5. Their actions do not match their words
6. They throw in positive reinforcement to confuse you.
7. They know confusion weakens people.
8. They project.
9. They try to align people against you
10. They tell you or others that you are crazy.
11. They tell you everyone else is a liar.
Anyone recognise these signs ?